The Missouri State Legislature is considering a bill in response to a proposed electrical transmission line project. House Bills 640 and 795 were proposed by Rep. Nate Walker, R-Kirksville.
If passed, the legislation would:
- Ask utility companies to use existing project routes when building on private property
- Require all future routing to take place along boundary or section lines
- Require all projects to avoid impeding irrigation and use agricultural machinery
- Require 60% of all land acquired in eminent domain to be given voluntarily
- Provide tougher restrictions on how the utility company can use the land
- Limit the amount of pounds per square inch the company can put on the land
- Limit the number of times a utility company can apply to the Missouri Public Service Commission in pursuing eminent domain
Both bills are waiting to be assigned to committee.